Child Life Program
The Child Life Program helps children deal with medical treatment in a positive way.
The Child Life staff work to
normalize the hospital experience for children to make it as “regular” as possible. This is done through play experiences, recognition of holidays and birthdays, opportunities for socializing with other children, and other adaptive activities.
Child Life helps children and families
deal with the stress and anxiety that often accompany healthcare experiences. This is done by providing sensory education on medical events (preparation for procedures and surgeries, disease-specific education, etc.); relaxation and stress management education; play activities designed to encourage expression of feelings and increase self-esteem; and medical play to encourage communication of feelings and mastery over medical equipment.
Child Life also helps children continue to
grow socially, emotionally, physically, and intellectually throughout the time of their hospital and clinic experiences. This is done through play appropriate to the age and activity level of the children. We also offer a school program for all children in the hospital.
The Child Life Program also:
- Provides support and services to siblings who may also be affected by their sibling’s hospitalization.
- Provides education and resources for parents.
- Helps to provide emotional support for the patient and his or her family.
- Provides support for patients and families dealing with grief and bereavement issues.
Areas of Child Life coverage:
- Inpatient Units
- Day Surgery/Procedures/Radiology
- Emergency Department
- Outpatient Specialty Clinics
- Child Life Activity Centers