What are pediatric hematologist-oncologists?
Pediatric hematologist-oncologists take care of children with blood disorders and cancer. They have received advanced training leading to specialty board certification. Hematology is the treatment of blood disorders. Oncology is the treatment of cancer. Our physicians are board-certified experts who specialize in both areas.
What conditions do hematologist-oncologists treat?
Our specialists treat a wide variety of conditions.
- Conditions related to abnormal numbers and/or function of white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets, which include neutropenia, anemia, sickle cell disease, thalassemia, and thrombocytopenia
- Bleeding disorders (including hemophilia and Von Willebrand disease) and thrombotic disorders (blood clots)
- Blood (leukemia) and lymphatic (lymphoma) cancers
- Bone and soft tissue and muscle cancers (sarcoma)
- Brain tumors
- Solid tumors of all types, including retinoblastoma, neuroblastoma, kidney cancer, liver cancer, and cancer of the ovaries or testicles